Home Growing Long and Healthy Hair
Health and length of your hair depend on your diet and hair care. Your hair is composed of α-keratin, a protein. Five amino acids that work towards building α-keratin are: cystine, cysteine, methionine, arginine and lysine. Take a diet that contains balanced amount of vitamins and minerals.
Long hair brings with it a lot of problems like breakage, splits, tangles etc. Hence, long hair needs more intense care than short hair. Before moving on to long hair care, let’s understand the characteristics of healthy hair:
- Lustrous and Smooth texture
- Maximum hair loss is 75-100 strands/day
- Hair loss occurs in strands, no breakages
- Holds curl well
- Easy to comb while wet
- Hair strand stretches when pulled
- Healthy scalp
- Minimal split ends
- Add variety to your diet
- Avoid junk foods
- Eat lightly processed foods
- Do not over cook.
Long hair stands for better hair health. The major problems affecting long hair are breakage, fly-away strands and split ends.
One of the most common causes of hair loss is poor maintenance like improper brushing, improper washing and infrequent trimming. Lifestyle factors, such as poor nutrition, stress and even restless sleeping also contribute to hair damage.
10 Tips on Long Hair Care
- Quit smoking, avoid caffeine and carbonated sodas.
- Avoid foods that are high in fat and/or sugar.
- Avoid unnecessary brushing, combing and handling.
- Avoid use of very hot water.
- Message your scalp weekly.
- Do hot oil treatments to protect the hair shaft.
- Trim regularly to eliminate split ends.
- Take adequate rest and sleep.
- Protect hair from sun, chlorine, salt water and use deep conditioners after exposure.
- Take care of hair even when you are asleep, make sure that your hair does not get tangled. Try a satin pillowcase.